Home > About us > James the Deacon - the Church

James the Deacon - the Church

 

The current church, designed by George Pace, was consecrated by the Dr Coggan, the Archbishop of York, on 2nd of July 1971.  

While contemporary of the time, the building incorporates many interesting from older churches in York.  In the Narthex (entrance hall), there is 12th century Norman Arch from the now demolished church of St Maurice in Lord Mayors walk.   The 15th century font came from St Sampson’s church in the Centre of York, while the stone altar and spectacular baldachino (canopy) were made in the 1950’s for the chapel at St John’s College (now York St John University) also in Lord Mayors Walk.

In the side chapel, dedicated to St Maurice, the altar slab, originally sited in the chapel of the Vicars Choral in York Minster, was dedicated in 1393.   The reredos behind the altar is in the form of a triptych and came from St Sampson’s was dedicated in 1906

in the chapel of the Vicars Choral in York Minster, was dedicated in 1393.   The reredos behind the altar is in the form of a triptych and came from St Sampson’s was dedicated in 1906Sampson’s was dedicated in 1906